There are three types of graduate assistants at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi:

Graduate Assistants receive an assistantship, which helps them finance their graduate studies. More detailed information about graduate assistantships at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi can be found in the Graduate Assistantship Handbook

Every college or department has its own process for accepting applications to become a Graduate Assistant.  Therefore, in order to obtain the information that is specific to each college or department, please contact the Colleges/Departments directly; below is the contact information.  

  • College of Business: (361) 825-2655
  • College of Education: (361) 825-2662
  • College of Liberal Arts: 
    • Communication – Dr. Rodriguez (361) 825-5753
    • English – Dr. Garza (361) 825-2483
    • History – Dr. Sanos (361) 825-2466
    • Psychology – Dr. Botello (361) 825-4128
    • Public Administration – Dr. Rauhaus (361) 825-3286
    • Art – Mr. Ryan O’Malley (361) 825-5835
  • College of Science and Engineering: (361) 825-5777
  • College of Nursing and Health Sciences: (361) 825-2648
  • Information Technology: (361) 825-2693

Graduate students who are interested in becoming Teaching Assistants in the First-Year Seminar program should contact the First-Year Seminar Coordinator in the Department of Undergraduate Studies for more information.

- bachelor's degree or the equivalent

- be admitted to a degree seeking program

- Meet minimum GPA requirements:

  • New students: GPA of 3.0 or higher in last 60 semester credit hours
  • Current students: maintain a cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0

- meet minimum enrollment requirements for each semester. See Chart Below.

Department and hours required
Department Providing Funds Required Number of Graduate Hours
Spring/ Fall  Summer
College of Graduate Studies 9 3
College of Science & Engineering 9 3
Other 6 3

According to the Texas Education Code, Section 54.212, non-resident students receiving a 50% FTE graduate assistantship will receive in-state tuition and fees at the rate charged to Texas residents for the semester in which they hold the assistantship appointment. To receive in-state tuition rates, students must maintain a graduate course load of at least 6 hours during long semesters or 3 hours during the summer session. Individual programs/departments/colleges may have additional qualification requirements (see section “Enrollment Requirements” in the handbook). Out-of-state tuition waivers will be rescinded if students register for too few hours or are not working in the qualifying position by the 12th class of long semesters and the 4th class day of summer semesters.

To apply for a graduate assistantship tuition waiver, you will need to:

For step by step instructions, please see: Out of State Tuition Waiver Process Chart

 Apply for Waiver

Assistantship FAQ

What is a Graduate Assistantship?

  • Graduate Assistantships are awards intended to assist graduate students financially during their period of study. Assistantships support the educational experience of the student and are related to the student’s graduate program.
  • Graduate assistants (GAs) are primarily students, not employees; successful completion of the academic program is the top priority for both the student and the institution.
  • Three types of graduate assistantships are available:
  1. Graduate Teaching Assistants
  2. Graduate Research Assistants
  3. Graduate Administrative Research Assistantships

What is a Graduate Teaching Assistantship?

Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) are typically responsible for directing lab sections, leading discussion sections, grading assignment, and in some cases, regular courses below 5000.

What is a Graduate Research Assistantship?

Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs) are responsible for working on research projects in collaboration with or under the direction of a faculty or staff member. Duties assigned to GRAs will be relevant to the graduate program and the professional goals of the student.

What is a Graduate Administrative Research Assistantships ?

Graduate Administrative Research Assistants (GARAs) are responsible for providing
professional administrative services to include related research, in collaboration with, or under the
direction of, a faculty or staff member. Responsibilities vary among departments. Duties assigned to
ARAs must be relevant to the graduate program and/or the professional goals of the student.

How do I apply for an assistantship?

Students are encouraged to inquire with the coordinator of their graduate programs to check assistantship availability. Additionally, the following units may hire graduate assistants. This is not an inclusive list.


College of Graduate Studies

Garcia Education Center

Center for Coastal Studies

Information Technology

Center for Water Supply Studies

Library Operations

Conrad Blucher Institute for

Surveying and Science

Office of Student Engagement and Success

Office of Marketing and Communications

Office of the Provost

Office of Assessment & Continuous Improvement

Office of Student Engagement and Success

Office of Student Financial Assistance

Research, Commercialization, and Outreach

Career Services

Harte Research Institute for

Gulf of Mexico Studies

Coastal Bend Business Innovation Center


How much will I get paid?

Individual colleges or employing non-academic units will set the exact salary amount for each assistantship based on the type of degree program, level of academic progression (e.g., pre- vs. post-candidacy for doctoral students), or other factors as determined by the hiring department and approved by the Graduate Dean.

How many hours must a graduate assistant work each week?

  • Graduate assistants are required to work on average 20 hours per week (50% FTE).
  • Greater than 50% appointments during regular semesters is not allowed.
  • GA appointments below 50% FTE are discouraged as these do not provide benefits.
  • Graduate Assistants may be appointed for greater than 50% FTE during the summer term and during class breaks with prior CGS approval

How long can the Graduate Assistantship appointment be?

  • Master’s students in 30-36 SCH graduate programs are eligible for funding for no more than 4 long academic semesters. 
  • Master’s students in 42-60 SCH graduate programs, e.g., MFA or Counseling, are eligible for funding for no more than 6-8 long academic semesters.
  • Doctoral students are eligible for funding for no more than 10 long academic semesters if entering the program with a B.S. degree. If a student enters a doctoral program with a M.S. degree or equivalent, funding will be limited to 8 long semesters. 

What is an out-of-state tuition waiver or instate tuition?   

All students attending Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi who are non-residents of Texas will be charged additional tuition in accordance with State law. This additional tuition fee is waived for non-resident graduate assistants with the out-of-state tuition waiver.

Who can be a Texas Resident?

Students will be classified as Texas residents if they meet one or more of the following criteria:

    • Any individual who has resided in Texas from birth.
    • Any individual 18 years of age or over who has come from outside Texas and who is gainfully employed in Texas for a 12-month period immediately preceding registration in any institution of higher learning.

Who will get out-of-state tuition waiver?

Non-resident or international students working 50% FTE meeting the minimum GPA and enrollment requirement can receive an out of state tuition waiver.

How to request an out-of-state tuition waiver?

To apply for a graduate assistantship tuition waiver, you will need to:

For step by step instructions, please see: Out of State Tuition Waiver Process Chart

 Apply for Waiver

When should you start your employment to receive an out-of-state tuition waiver?

Students must work in the qualifying position by the 12th class day of long semesters and the 4th class day of summer semesters to receive an out-of-state tuition waiver.

What is the last day to submit out-of-state tuition waiver form?

All out-of-state tuition waiver forms should be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies by the first class day of the academic term. In some cases form may be accepted if received by 12th class day of long semester or 4th class day of summer semester.

What happens if the employment is terminated during the semester?

Termination of the student’s employment (voluntary or involuntary) during the semester may result in revocation of the exemption, recalculation of tuition at the nonresident rate, and immediate payment of the tuition due.

What happens if the minimum enrollment requirement is not maintained throughout the term?

If a student fails to maintain any of the enrollment requirements throughout the semester (i.e., by dropping a course), his/her assistantship may be terminated unless the drop occurred with the approval of the student’s graduate committee and an exception was granted in advance by the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies. 

May I hold another job (on campus employment) in addition to my assistantship?

The total amount of percent effort may not exceed 50% per week (20 hours a week). 

Can Graduate Assistants take Vacation/ Holiday/ Sick Leave?

Graduate Assistants are considered to be temporary appointments; these positions do not qualify for paid vacation, sick leave, emergency leave, or holiday pay. For more information see the Office of Human Resources at


Click on the below "Apply Here" or go to this link in order to submit the TA/RA Waiver application:

For step by step instructions, please see: Out of State Tuition Waiver Process Chart

 Apply for Waiver